The Department of Home Affairs (DHA) has implemented mandatory Visa Length Cover (VLC) as a requirement for all student visa applications from 01 July 2010. This means you must show DIBP that you have OSHC for the entire proposed duration of your student visa.
You will not require OSHC if you are:
- a Norwegian student covered by the Norwegian National Insurance Scheme
- a Swedish student covered by the National Board of Student Aid or by Kammarkollegiet
- a Belgian student covered under the Reciprocal Health Care Agreement with Australia
- studying for less than three months on a visitor or tourist visa. You will not be eligible for OSHC and are advised to purchase Overseas Visitors Health Cover or comprehensive travel insurance
- an Australian government scholarship student.
Medibank Comprehensive OSHC
RMIT works with Medibank as our preferred provider of OSHC. We can arrange for visa-length cover directly with Medibank, with a payment for the service required when you accept your Offer.
In your offer letter you will find pricing for Medibank OSHC. You can pay this amount when you pay the Program deposit and RMIT will arrange the OSHC cover directly with Medibank. A copy of your OSHC membership certificate will be sent to your RMIT email. You can use this to activate your membership when you arrive in Australia.
Activate your Medibank OSHC
Once you arrive in Australia you need to activate your insurance, so we know you have arrived in Australia. To activate your Medibank OSHC, you will need your OSHC Policy Certificate which will be waiting in your RMIT student email, then use the Medibank OSHC App or website to activate and set up your OSHC.
- Download the Medibank OSHC app.
- Tap on Activate and follow the steps.
- Or activate using the Medibank OSHC website.
For any issues or queries you can talk with a Medibank team member on campus, or call 134 148.